Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Journal 3

Journal #3 "Keep Them Chatting"

“Keep Them Chatting” by Jeanie Cole
Cole, J. (2009 February). Keep them chatting. Learning and Leading with Technology, 4, Retrieved February 15, 2009, from http://www.learningandleading-digital.com/learning_leading/200902/

This article discusses how to keep students involved in a lively classroom discussion on online classes. Usually online classes do not involve many discussions that go beyond the basic needs of the class assignments. Very often students will lose interest, making teachers resort to lecturing in the chat rooms. This article gives many examples on how to liven up the discussions so students can get more out of the experience. The examples given range from English class to Biology to even Physics!

1. What are the benefits to the student of a more lively on-line discussion?
I know personally from taking on-line course that I do not get as much out of the learning experience as I do in the classroom. The article says the students will take more of an ownership of their own work and class. The author also writes of success stories where students are taking something they learned on their on-line class and went on to learn more about the subject. The other benefit is that students who are interested in their own work are also able to look at the work of other students.

2. What is a question I could use in my own online classroom that would spark a lively discussion with my students?
A question I would use is, "If you were born in Mexico how would your life be different? Do you think you would view the world in a different way?" I think there would be many different responses and I would have the students comment on each others.

No comments:

Post a Comment